The East of Market team compiled a list of five of our favorite historical attractions that are all a short walk, bike ride, and/ or drive away from our apartment community. Whether you are a resident or are just visiting The City of Frederick for a day, these destinations are a must see during nice, warm weather:
- The National Museum of Civil War Medicine: Located on East Patrick Street in Downtown Frederick, this museum contains numerous Civil War era artifacts and facts about period medical practices. The building the museum is housed in actually was in operation during the Civil War. The museum that can be visited today opened in 2001.
- The Barbara Fritchie House: Another attraction that stems from the Civil War era is the Barbara Fritchie House, named for the woman who lived there and infamously waved a Union flag from her window as Stonewall Jackson and his soldiers rode past during the war. Parts of the original house washed away during a flood and the current house is a reconstruction built during the 1920s and filled with artifacts. The house, located off of Carroll Creek, now operates as a museum with a tour.
- Baker Park: Right outside of Downtown Frederick’s bustling Market Street is Baker Park, a 58 acre park that is home to a pool, walking paths, play areas, a band shell, and more. Built in the 1920s, the park has a rich history and numerous interesting artifacts including a bell tower.
- Brewer’s Alley: This Downtown Frederick restaurant has been a City of Frederick staple for years. Built in the 17oos as a town hall, the building also served as office and event space. The restaurant opened in 1996.
- Weinberg Center for the Arts: The Weinberg Center is a historic theater and arts center located off of Market Street on West Patrick Street. The theater opened as the Tivoli Theater in the 1920s and operated as a regal movie house. Today, the Weinberg Center continues to hosts a move series in addition to a number of live music, theater, and speaker events.
Visit the linked websites to learn more about these locations.