Five Downtown Destinations for Holiday Shopping
Does the following schedule sound familiar? There is the office holiday party next Thursday, a White Elephant gift exchange that weekend, and a family gathering the following week. For those facing a similar schedule, it might be time to go holiday gift shopping!
Now that it is officially the 2018 holiday season, it may be a good time to focus on purchasing gifts for friends, family members, and beyond. For East of Market and other Frederick residents, Downtown Frederick is a wonderful destination during the holidays for gift shopping. Below, the East of Market team details five stores in Downtown Frederick that may contain the perfect holiday gift.
- Retro Metro: A gift shop located in the heart of Downtown Frederick, Retro Metro has such a wide variety of products that it would be easy to do most, if not all, holiday shopping at that one store. Cards, wall decor, pop culture items, and more are all present at Retro Metro. The shop is open every day of the week. Learn more about this store on their official website: https://www.retro-metro.com/ .
- Curious Iguana: Opened in 2013, Curious Iguana is a bookstore that features a wide variety of books and book related memorabilia. Books can be ordered from the Curious Iguana website, but the team in the bookstore is always happy to help find books in the store for patrons. For any bookworms in your life, Curious Iguana is a must for holiday shopping. Gift cards are also available for the store, in the event that it is hard to decide between the many books available. In addition to a standard bookstore, Curious Iguana also hosts several book clubs! Learn more about Curious Iguana here: https://curiousiguana.com/ .
- Dancing Bear Toys and Gifts: This toy shop is the “sister” store of Curious Iguana. Dancing Bear originally opened in 2000 and remains a Downtown Frederick staple. For those looking for toys and/ or gifts for children this holiday season, Dancing Bear needs to be a destination on the shopping list. This store features toys and games that do not utilize batteries. The focus of the store is “unplugged” play, so think of board games, puzzles, puppets, and more. There are tons of unique gifts in Dancing Bear. Learn more about this toy store here: https://dbeartoys.com/ .
- Brainstorm Comics and Gaming: For those looking for comic books, graphic novels, and/ or table top games to gift this holiday season, this store is the place to shop! Located next to the C. Burr Artz Public Library, this comic book store features a wide variety of comics as well as novelty items and trading cards. Learn more about Brainstorm on the official website: https://www.brainstormcomics.com/ .
- Record Exchange: As its name would suggest, the Record Exchange features records! The shop is always well organized and records are divided by music genre. Records can be the perfect holiday gift for those who love music. In addition to records, the Record Exchange also repairs and sells cds, video games, videos, and video game systems. It is important to note that Record Exchange also buys records, video games, and more. After the holiday season, during spring cleaning, remember to bring any unwanted records to Record Exchange to see if they can be purchased and sold. Learn more about Record Exchange online: http://www.recordexchangeofmd.com/.
All of the above stores, and many more, are located only a quick drive or bike ride away from this Frederick, Maryland apartment community. With so many unique and wonderful shops located in Downtown Frederick, Frederick residents should have an easy time purchasing holiday gifts this season.
The East of Market team wishes Happy Holidays to all celebrating!
Learn more about East of Market, by visiting the website or Facebook page.
First Saturdays are staple activities in Downtown Frederick: days dedicated to exploring the downtown area and learning more about local shops and businesses.
This holiday season, Downtown Frederick Partnership is hosting several “December Saturdays,” beyond the traditional First Saturday, for attendees to celebrate holiday cheer and festivities.
East of Market residents can easily take part in the upcoming December Saturdays by taking a short drive or bike ride to Downtown Frederick.
This Saturday, December 16, is a Holiday Scavenger Hunt. Numerous holiday-themed clues are hidden downtown. Turn in a completed Clue Sheet by 9 pm on December 16 for a chance to win. Learn more about this event online.
Saturday, December 23, is the “Last Minute Dash”. Holiday shoppers will be able to enjoy extended hours at several downtown stores to complete any last-minute holiday shopping.
In addition to these events, don’t miss out on the Downtown Frederick Trolley that runs through Downtown Fredrick during December Saturdays.
Learn more about December Saturdays on the Downtown Frederick Partnership website.
Learn more about East of Market by visiting our website or Facebook page.
A Look at Frosty Friday in Downtown Frederick
With Thanksgiving less than two weeks away, some individuals are already beginning to prepare for the holiday season and starting to shop for holiday presents.
The East of Market team wanted to let our valued residents know about the upcoming Frosty Friday event: an opportunity to prepare for the holiday season during an all-day celebration in Downtown Frederick.
Frosty Friday will take place on Friday, November 24 and is a day of shopping and supporting local businesses. Many Downtown Frederick stores, such as Dancing Bear, Retro-Metro, and Voila! in Frederick, are open extended hours for Frosty Friday for shoppers searching for holiday gifts. Frosty Friday attendees can make use of the free trolley that will circulate Downtown Frederick to assist in getting to all of the different shops participating in the event.
In addition to shopping, Frost Friday attendees can enjoy horse drawn carriage rides, snacks such as hot cocoa and s’mores, appearances from Santa and other holiday characters, and more.
Learn more about Frosty Friday on the Downtown Frederick Partnership website.
Learn more about East of Market by visiting the website or Facebook page.
Independence Day in The City of Frederick: events, activities, and more!
Tomorrow is Independence Day and there are many celebrations in the City of Frederick to commemorate this holiday!
One event option is to head to Baker Park to attend Celebrate Frederick‘s 33 annual “Frederick’s 4th” celebration: a day full of events and activities for people of all ages. During this celebration, attendees will be able to experience:
Fun: Frederick’s 4th of July celebration will feature fun that the whole family can enjoy. Examples include a petting zoo, amusement rides, pony rides, and a giant candy cannon. The event will feature charging tents, a photo booth, pie-eating contest, and even a dunk tank.
Food: Food trucks will be in abundance around Baker Park for the Independence Day celebration. Attendees can expect ice cream, funnel cakes, pizza, hot dogs, and more. Celebrate Frederick features a full list of food vendors online.
Fireworks: Any Fourth of July event would not be complete without fireworks. Frederick’s 4th will culminate in a fireworks show that attendees can enjoy from designated areas of Baker Park and several other surrounding areas. Learn more about viewing areas here.
Learn more about this annual celebration on the official website.
Want to avoid the crowd heading to Baker Park tomorrow? There are other options too! Downtown Frederick Partnership has compiled a list of local restaurants that are open during the holiday.
Have a safe and fun Fourth of July with family and loved ones!
Learn more about East of Market, by visiting the website or Facebook page.